Luminous-Lint - for collectors and connoisseurs of fine photography
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER

HomeContentsOnline exhibitions > Indian Mutiny (1858)

Title • First image • Lightbox • Checklist • Resources • PhVPrevious Previous Previous[34 of 35]

 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
 
  
Standard
  
  
Linnaeus Tripe 
Pillars in the central corridor of the Pudu or Vasanta Mantapam, Also known as 'Tirumalai's Chaultri' in the Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple, Madurai 
1858, June (ca) 
  
Albumen print from dry collodion negative 
230 x 311 mm (9 x 12 in) 
  
Bernard J. Shapero Rare Books 
Courtesy of Bernard J Shapero Rare Books 
  
 
LL/30111 
  
Pasted on original leaf, title in English in manuscript 'Madura - View of the Nave from the Simhasanum at the West end. 13. III.
 
The Pudu Mantapam (the 'New Mandapa') sits outside the main enclosure of the Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple, to the east of the complex. The pillars inside are decorated with scuptures of several Nayaka rulers and ministers as well as Yalis, mythical beasts. The Pudu Mantapam was constructed during the reign of Tirumalai Nayaka. This is plate 3 from Photographic Views of Madura, Part II. 
 
 
  
 
  
Title • First image • Lightbox • Checklist • Resources • PhVPrevious Previous Previous[34 of 35]
 
 
 
  
 
  
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER
 Facebook LuminousLint 
 Twitter @LuminousLint