| || |
19th Century Tableau vivant
Images selected by
With grateful thanks to all the organisations providing examples.
... we may state that for the " Dickens Ball," at New York, on February 14th, 1842, a committee of the citizens recommended, among many other suggestions of a similar character, the following:
ORDER OF DANCES AND TABLEAUX VIVANTS.
1. Grand March.
2. Tableau Vivant "A Sketch, by Boz."
3. Amilie Quadrille.
4. Tableau Vivant " The Seasons," a poem, with music.
5. Quadrille Waltz, selections.
6. Tableau Vivant The book of " Oliver Twist."
T. Quadrille March Norma.
8. Tableau Vivant "The Ivy Green."
9. Victoria Waltz.
10. Tableau Vivant " Little Nell."
11. Basket Quadrille.
12. Tableau Vivant The book of "Nicholas Nickleby."
14. Tableau Vivant "A Sketch, by Boz."
15. Spanish Dance.
16. Tableau Vivant " The Pickwick Papers."
John Camden Hotten, George Augustus Sala and Arthur Penrhyn Stanley Charles Dickens: The Story of his life (New York: Harper & Brothers, 1870), p.42
Archive Farms, Bassenge Photography Auctions, Charles Schwartz Ltd, Christopher Wahren Fine Photographs, George Eastman Museum, Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center at the University of Texas at Austin, Israel Museum - Jerusalem, J. Paul Getty Museum, Jefferson Stereoptics, Library of Congress - Prints and Photographs Division, Musée d'Orsay, National Science and Media Museum, NGV - National Gallery of Victoria, Past to Present: Vintage Photo Gallery, Photoseed, Princeton University Art Museum, Private collection of Kevin Yee, Saint Louis Art Museum, Société Française de Photographie, Stereoviews: Stereoviews and Fine 19th & 20th Century Antique Photographs, Un Livre Une Image, Victoria and Albert Museum, echtl & Voseček Museum of Photography.