| || |
19th Century Opera Stars For the lover of opera these internet sites offer interesting examples of 19th century photographic portraits:
Universitat Frankfurt am Main Manskopf Collection
Metropolitan Opera History
National Portrait Gallery
Archivi di Teatro Napoli
Further research questions
We are seeking to expand the explanatory information for this online exhibition and would welcome further information on any of the following questions.
- Are there diaries, letters, biographies of opera personalities where they mention photographers?
- Were there business cards, passes that used photographs (other than straight cdvs)?
- Are there any examples of opera season tickets with photographs on them?
- Are there photographers with interesting accounts of photographing opera stars?
- Do account books exist listing opera stars visiting photographic studios?
- Did 19th opera houses have budgets for photography as a part of their marketing?
- Are there any adverts for photographers who specialized in this type of work?
- Are there any surviving 19th century opera posters and handbills based on photographs?
- Has anybody completed research on the connections between opera and photography?