|Other: W.H. Jackson |
Other: William H. Jackson
|Dates: ||1843, 4 April - 1942, 30 June|
|Born: ||US, NY, Keesville|
|Died: ||US, NY, New York|
Jackson worked with the railway companies and survey groups moving out into the American West. His landscape photographs are some of the most important ever made and helped define the ‘West‘.
Readings on, or by, individual photographers
Hales, Peter B., 1988, William Henry Jackson and the Transformation of the American Landscape, (Philadelphia: Temple University Press) [Δ]
Jackson, Clarence S., 1947, Picture Maker of the Old West: William Henry Jackson, (New York: Charles Scribners & Sons) [Δ]
Jackson, William Henry, 1986, Time Exposure: The Autobiography of William Henry Jackson, (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press) [Introduction by Ferenc M. Szasz] [Δ]
If you feel this list is missing a significant book or article please let me know - Alan - email@example.com
| || |
|Family history |
If you are related to this photographer and interested in tracking down your extended family we can place a note here for you to help. It is free and you would be amazed who gets in touch.
|William Henry Jackson: 104. Rocks near Platte Canyon|
|William Henry Jackson: Mexico|
|William Henry Jackson: Pack animals|| |
All photographs by this photographer
|William Henry Jackson, Henry Gannett Album |
|William Henry Jackson, Selected Stereo Views |
|William Henry Jackson - Stereograph catalog |
Central Pacific Railroad Photographic History Museum (www.cprr.org)
The following books are useful starting points to obtain brief biographies but they are not substitutes for the monographs on individual photographers.
|• Auer, Michele & Michel 1985 Encyclopedie Internationale Des Photographes de 1839 a Nos Jours / Photographers Encylopaedia International 1839 to the present (Hermance, Editions Camera Obscura) 2 volumes [A classic reference work for biographical information on photographers.] |
• Beaton, Cecil & Buckland, Gail 1975 The Magic Eye: The Genius of Photography from 1839 to the Present Day (Boston and Toronto: Little, Brown & Company) p.69 [Useful short biographies with personal asides and one or more example images.]
• Capa, Cornell (ed.) 1984 The International Center of Photography: Encyclopedia of Photography (New York, Crown Publishers, Inc. - A Pound Press Book) p.270-271
• Lenman, Robin (ed.) 2005 The Oxford Companion to the Photograph (Oxford: Oxford University Press) [Includes a short biography on William Henry Jackson.]
• Weaver, Mike (ed.) 1989 The Art of Photography 1839-1989 (New Haven and London: Yale University Press) p.458-459 [This exhibition catalogue is for the travelling exhibition that went to Houston, Canberra and London in 1989.]
• Witkin, Lee D. and Barbara London 1979 The Photograph Collector’s Guide (London: Secker and Warburg) p.168 [Long out of print but an essential reference work - the good news is that a new edition is in preparation.]
If there is an analysis of a single photograph or a useful self portrait I will highlight it here.
Photographic collections are a useful means of examining large numbers of photographs by a single photographer on-line.
|Library of Congress, Washington, USA |
Approximate number of records: 3126
Note: A single record may contain more than one photograph.