|Born: Jerry Norman Uelsmann |
Other: Jerry Uelsmann
|Dates: ||1934, 11 June - |
|Born: ||US, MI, Detroit|
American photographer and teacher. His multi-negative composite images are remarkable and have a surreal beauty.
Biography provided by Focal Press
Creator of enigmatic, surreal images, Uelsmann was first known for his mastery of complex, multiple negative darkroom printing techniques and for his philosophy of post-visualization of the image. He creates composite images from his personal vocabulary of image fragments, with psychological association and metaphor at the heart of his work. In transitioning to digital production methods, he continues to create magically convincing paradoxes of time and space. An influential professor at the University of Florida, he is now retired.
(Author: Garie Waltzer - Photographer and consultant)
Michael Peres (Editor-in-Chief), 2007, Focal Encyclopedia of Photography, 4th edition, (Focal Press) [ISBN-10: 0240807405, ISBN-13: 978-0240807409]
(Used with permission)
Readings on, or by, individual photographers
2007, Maggie Taylor & Jerry Uelsmann, (Seoul: Museum of Photography) [Exhibition catalogue] [Δ]
Enyeart, J. L., 1982, Jerry N. Uelsmann, Twenty-Five Years: A Retrospective, (Boston: Little, Brown) [Δ]
Uelsmann, Jerry N., 1970, Jerry N. Uelsmann, (New York: Aperture) [Essay by Peter Bunnell] [Δ]
Uelsmann, Jerry N., 1977, Silver Meditations, (Dobbs Ferry, NY: Morgan and Morgan) [Δ]
Uelsmann, Jerry N., 1992, Photo-Synthesis: Photographs by Jerry Uelsmann, (Gainesville: University of Florida Press) [Δ]
Uelsmann, Jerry N., 2000, Approaching the Shadow, (Tucson, AZ: Nazraeli Press) [Δ]
Uelsmann, Jerry N., 2005, Other Realities, (New York: Bulfinch Press) [Δ]
If you feel this list is missing a significant book or article please let me know - Alan - email@example.com
| || |
|Family history |
If you are related to this photographer and interested in tracking down your extended family we can place a note here for you to help. It is free and you would be amazed who gets in touch.
Exhibitions on this website
|Jerry Uelsmann: Trees|| |
All photographs by this photographer
|Wikipedia has a biography of this photographer.||Show on this site||Go to website|
|Getty Research, Los Angeles, USA has an ULAN (Union List of Artists Names Online) entry for this photographer. This is useful for checking names and they frequently provide a brief biography.|| ||Go to website|
|Grove Art Online (www.groveart.com) has a biography of this artist. |
[NOTE: This is a subscription service and you will need to pay an annual fee to access the content.]
|Show on this site||Go to website|
The following books are useful starting points to obtain brief biographies but they are not substitutes for the monographs on individual photographers.
|• Beaton, Cecil & Buckland, Gail 1975 The Magic Eye: The Genius of Photography from 1839 to the Present Day (Boston and Toronto: Little, Brown & Company) p.232 [Useful short biographies with personal asides and one or more example images.] |
• Capa, Cornell (ed.) 1984 The International Center of Photography: Encyclopedia of Photography (New York, Crown Publishers, Inc. - A Pound Press Book) p.526, 527
• Coke, Van Deren with Diana C. Du Pont 1986 Photography: A Facet of Modernism (New York: Hudson Hills Press, The San Francisco Museum of Art) p.187
• Evans, Martin Marix (Executive ed.) 1995 Contemporary Photographers [Third Edition] (St. James Press - An International Thomson Publishing Company) [Expensive reference work but highly informative.]
• Hoy, Anne H. 1987 Fabrications: Staged, Altered and Appropriated Photographs (New York: Abbeville) p.198
• Witkin, Lee D. and Barbara London 1979 The Photograph Collector’s Guide (London: Secker and Warburg) p.258-259 [Long out of print but an essential reference work - the good news is that a new edition is in preparation.]
If there is an analysis of a single photograph or a useful self portrait I will highlight it here.
Photographic collections are a useful means of examining large numbers of photographs by a single photographer on-line.