|Born: Henri Jean-Louis Le Secq |
|Dates: ||1818, 18 August - 1882, 26 December|
|Born: ||France, Paris|
Early French photographer who used waxed paper negatives. His finest works are the architectural shots he took for the ‘Commission des Monuments Historiques‘.
Janis, Eugenia Parry, 1986, ‘Demolition Picturesque: Photographs of Paris in 1852 and 1853 by Henri Le Secq‘, in Welch, Peter & Barrow, Thomas F (eds), Perspectives on Photography: Essays in Honor of Beaumont Newhall, pp.53 [Δ]
Mondenard, Anne de, 2002, La Mission Héliographique: Cinq photographes parcourent la France en 1851, (Paris: Centre des Monuments Nationaux) [Δ]
Néagu, Philippe, et al., 1980, La Mission Héliographique: Photographies de 1851. Exhibition catalogue, (Paris: Inspection Générale des Musées Classés et Contrôlés) [Δ]
Rice, Shelley, 1999, Parisian Views, (The MIT Press) isbn-10: 0262681072 isbn-13: 978-0262681070 [Δ]
If you feel this list is missing a significant book or article please let me know - Alan - email@example.com
| || |
|Family history |
If you are related to this photographer and interested in tracking down your extended family we can place a note here for you to help. It is free and you would be amazed who gets in touch.
Exhibitions on this website
|Henri Le Secq: France: Chartes: Cathedral|
|Henri Le Secq: France: Paris: Notre Dame|
|Henri Le Secq: France: Reims - Rheims: Cathedral|
|Henri Le Secq: Waxed paper negatives|
All photographs by this photographer
|Wikipedia has a biography of this photographer.||Show on this site||Go to website|
|Getty Research, Los Angeles, USA has an ULAN (Union List of Artists Names Online) entry for this photographer. This is useful for checking names and they frequently provide a brief biography.|| ||Go to website|
|Grove Art Online (www.groveart.com) has a biography of this artist. |
[NOTE: This is a subscription service and you will need to pay an annual fee to access the content.]
|Show on this site||Go to website|
The following books are useful starting points to obtain brief biographies but they are not substitutes for the monographs on individual photographers.
|• Auer, Michele & Michel 1985 Encyclopedie Internationale Des Photographes de 1839 a Nos Jours / Photographers Encylopaedia International 1839 to the present (Hermance, Editions Camera Obscura) 2 volumes [A classic reference work for biographical information on photographers.] |
• Beaton, Cecil & Buckland, Gail 1975 The Magic Eye: The Genius of Photography from 1839 to the Present Day (Boston and Toronto: Little, Brown & Company) p.43 [Useful short biographies with personal asides and one or more example images.]
• Capa, Cornell (ed.) 1984 The International Center of Photography: Encyclopedia of Photography (New York, Crown Publishers, Inc. - A Pound Press Book) p.301
• Lenman, Robin (ed.) 2005 The Oxford Companion to the Photograph (Oxford: Oxford University Press) [Includes a short biography on Henri Le Secq.]
• Weaver, Mike (ed.) 1989 The Art of Photography 1839-1989 (New Haven and London: Yale University Press) p.460 [This exhibition catalogue is for the travelling exhibition that went to Houston, Canberra and London in 1989.]
• Witkin, Lee D. and Barbara London 1979 The Photograph Collector’s Guide (London: Secker and Warburg) p.182-183 [Long out of print but an essential reference work - the good news is that a new edition is in preparation.]
If there is an analysis of a single photograph or a useful self portrait I will highlight it here.