| || |
Alexander John Ellis
Rome, Piazza Navona from the north east angle
1841, June, 10.48 - 11.00 am
National Science and Media Museum
Part of the Ellis group of daguerreotypes, Inventory no: 1890-56-R100
Landscape view of Rome. Eastern fašade of the Church of S. Maria Maggiore. To the left is the column (now surmounted by a bronze image of the Virgin Mary) taken from the Temple of Peace. On the right is the Church of S. Antonio (Sant'Antonio Abate all'Esquilino). A piazza is in the foreground, bollards in front of the steps, a carriage with horse also by the steps and a column to the left on a plinth with inscription. A bell-tower is to the right of the dome, with a clock face and steepled roof.