Luminous-Lint - for collectors and connoisseurs of fine photography
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER

HomeContentsVisual indexesC.G. Fountaine

 
  
Standard
  
  
C.G. Fountaine 
Temple of Dendoor [Dendur], Nubia 
[Photographic views taken in Egypt and Greece by C. G. Fontaine] 
1862 
  
Albumen print 
25.9 x 34.6 cm (image) 
  
The Royal Collection 
RCIN 2081559 
  
 
LL/93224 
  
Side view of the temple of Dendur from a low angle, showing a stone platform on which stands a portal, followed by an open court and a building containing a two-column pronaos, an antechamber, which was used for offerings, and a sanctuary with a niche which used to contain the cult image. The temple was commissioned by Emperor Augustus (63 BC-AD 14) and built probably around 15 BC. It was dedicated to Isis, Osiris, Harpocrates and two deified Nubians, Petiesis and Pehor. It was removed from its original site in 1963, as part of a large project to save various monuments from being submerged by water following the construction of the Aswan High Dam, and donated in 1965 by Egypt to the United States of America in recognition of their assistance during the project. The temple was installed in 1978 in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York where it is still exhibited.
 
Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales 
 

 
  
 
  
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER
 Facebook LuminousLint 
 Twitter @LuminousLint