| || |
Cathedral and Orange Court, Seville
[Photographic Souvenir of Spain vol. II]
41.5 x 31.0 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
Photograph of the Patio de los Naranjos in Seville Cathedral, showing an area of open ground with orange trees. The Cathedral bell tower or Giralda is located in the background, on the right. The domed roof can be seen in the centre of the photograph. In the foreground, a tarpaulin covers a water vendor's stall where three large stone amphorae stand.
The Cathedral's domed roof was replaced twice following its collapse, once in 1511 and a second time in 1888. The latter was due to the effects of an earthquake in Seville.
Acquired by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert