Luminous-Lint - for collectors and connoisseurs of fine photography
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER

HomeContentsVisual indexes > Reverend William George Lawes

 
  
Standard
  
  
Reverend William George Lawes 
Three girls with tattoo markings on body and face, wearing plant fibre skirts, necklaces, earings; three bags hanging; white screen as (studio) background; Papua New Guinea. 
1881-1889 
  
Gelatin silver print 
British Museum 
Museum number: Oc,B24.5 
  
 
LL/89875 
  
Printed by Henry King Studio.
 
The image was taken between 1881-9 by Reverend William G Lawes (1839-1907). Lawes was a missionary based in the Papuan Gulf, who established the London Missionary Society’s station in Port Moresby in 1874. W.Y. Turner, a mission colleague, noted that Lawes made his photographs in Port Moresby (Welsch 2006).
 
Henry King, of King Photos Sydney, placed numbers on the photos by Lawes that he sold, the numbers referred to the ‘List of New Guinea Photographs by Rev. G Lawes' (Welsch 2006). His list was divided into categories ‘General’, ‘Missionary’ and ‘Anthropological’, this image is number 82. For more information see ' Welsch. R. 2006. Coaxing the Spirits to Dance. University of Washington Press: Seattle'.Related images: these same women can be found in images Oc,B103.67, 68, and 69. 
 

 
  
 
  
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER
 Facebook LuminousLint 
 Twitter @LuminousLint