Luminous-Lint - for collectors and connoisseurs of fine photography
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER

HomeContentsVisual indexesC.G. Fountaine

 
  
Standard
  
  
C.G. Fountaine 
Temple of Kalabshée [Kalabsha], Upper Egypt 
[Photographic views taken in Egypt and Greece by C. G. Fontaine] 
1862 
  
Albumen print 
41.1 x 33.9 cm (image) 
  
The Royal Collection 
RCIN 2081560 
  
 
LL/93225 
  
View of the left-hand side of the entrance to the pronaos of the unfinished Greco-Roman temple of Kalabsha (ancient Talmis) with Egyptian carvings on the walls and archway, as well as more recent drawings of boats on the left-hand pillar. Large stone debris in the foreground. The temple was built under Emperor Augustus's reign, around 30 BC, and dedicated to Isis of Philae and to Mandulis, a local god. The monument, which also included a small mammisi ('birth-house'), was dismantled in the 1960s and reassembled in 1970 in a new location just south of the Aswan High Dam (apart from the gateway, which was moved to Berlin). Signed in red ink on the lower right corner: CG Fountaine
 
Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales 
 

 
  
 
  
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER
 Facebook LuminousLint 
 Twitter @LuminousLint