| || |
Towers of the Cathedral, Burgos
[Photographic Souvenir of Spain vol. II]
40.5 x 31.0 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
Photograph of Burgos Cathedral in the capital of Castile, northern Spain. Twin gothic spires appear at the forefront of the west front of the cathedral. At 300 ft high, they flank the central rose window which can be seen below. In the background is the cathedral's Octagonal Tower. In the foreground stand secular buildings partially obscuring the view of the cathedral's west front.
The Cathedral of St Mary of Burgos is typical of the French Gothic style of architecture and was commissioned by King Ferdinand III of Castile. Construction began during the 1220's and continued up until the 16th century.
Acquired by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert