| || |
Pillars in the central corridor of the Pudu or Vasanta Mantapam, Also known as 'Tirumalai's Chaultri' in the Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple, Madurai
1858, June (ca)
Albumen print, from dry collodion negative
230 x 311 mm (9 x 12 in)
Bernard J. Shapero Rare Books
Courtesy of Bernard J Shapero Rare Books
Pasted on original leaf, title in English in manuscript 'Madura - View of the Nave from the Simhasanum at the West end. 13. III.
The Pudu Mantapam (the 'New Mandapa') sits outside the main enclosure of the Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple, to the east of the complex. The pillars inside are decorated with scuptures of several Nayaka rulers and ministers as well as Yalis, mythical beasts. The Pudu Mantapam was constructed during the reign of Tirumalai Nayaka. This is plate 3 from Photographic Views of Madura, Part II.