| || |
Herbert G. Ponting
The Terra Nova at the ice foot, Cape Evans
1911, 16 January
73.5 x 57.8 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
Photograph of the Terra Nova tethered to the ice at Cape Evans. The Cape was named after Lieutenant Edward Evans (1880-1957), Scott’s second in command on Terra Nova. Scott discovered the place during his Discovery expedition of 1901-4. When he returned in 1910, it was here that he built the expedition hut, which still stands today.
Presented to King George V, 1914