| || |
Alexander John Ellis
Venice, The Piazetta di San Marco From the Procuratie Nuovo
1841, 19 July, 4.57 - 5.12 pm
National Science and Media Museum
Part of the Ellis group of daguerreotypes, Inventory no: 1890-56-V7
A view in Venice of the Piazetta di S.Marco. To the left is a portion of the Basilica and the Ducal palace. To the right, the vestibule to the Campanile, and the three flagpoles. On the far side of the piazetta are the two columns of the winged lion and of saint Theodoric. Part of a sailing ship can also be seen. In the distance is the church and island of S. Giorgio Maggiore. Some ghostly figures can be seen in the bottom left.