| || |
Kaiser (Le Havre)
Musée des Beaux-Arts, Le Havre
Carte de visite
A topographical carte-de-visite showing the Musée des Beaux-Arts at Le Havre, established in 1845. The building used to stand on the quayside - the view here is taken from one of the walls of the inner harbour looking across a dock - but it was destroyed during the Second World War. It has since been replaced by a modern structure.
in 1873 Claude Monet painted a view of the building, seen from a similar position; the painting now hangs in the National Gallery, London.
Photographed by Kaiser of 28, rue Jeanne Hachette, Le Havre, identified recto in the margin and by his backplate on the reverse of the mount. Fermin Kaiser began operating at the beginning of the 1860's, and was awarded a medal by the Société des Beaux-Arts de Caen in 1861. He exhibited photographs on porcelain at the 1867 Exposition and in 1870 exhibited with the SFP. The studio was taken over by his son around 1880, and remained in business until the end of the century.