| || |
Watts and Skeen
The Uzina Pagoda [Moulmein]
Courtesy of the British Library, Image number: 4301512, Shelfmark: Photo 430/15(12)
Photograph from the Curzon Collection with a general view of the U Zina Pagoda in Moulmein (Mawlamyaing), south-east Burma. The town lies on the coast of south-east Burma at the mouth of the Salween (or Thanlwin) River where it meets the Gulf of Mottama (Martaban). Moulmein was capital of British-held Lower Burma from 1827-1852, during which period it became a centre for the export of teak and rice and consequently an important seaport for shipping. The pagoda stands on the southern spur of a ridge of hills in the eastern part of the town, and is one of five shrines and monasteries built on the ridge. The conical stupa or zedi rises above the other buildings of the temple complex, its spire culminating in an umbrella or hti. Surrounding it are a number of pavilions with multiple tiered roofs and tiered spires known as pyat-that, characteristic of Burmese religious architecture.