| || |
Thomas Rodger Jr. [Attributed to]
Bronze Age Pottery Urns found at Law Park, St Andrews, 1859.
St. Andrews University Library, Special Collections / The Photographic Collection
Pots displayed on marble topped table. Decoration consists of triangles, some with hatched infill. The pots are filled with fragments of calcined bone [from cremations]; cattle teeth are propped up before the pots. The two pieces of metal in the picture, by the card, are bronze blades that were found amongst the bones in the pots.
Fleming, D H (1907) 'Notice of the recent discovery of a cist, with fragments of urns and a jet necklace, at Law Park, near St Andrews: with a note of the discovery, near the same place, of a cremation cemetery of the Bronze Age, with many cinerary urns, in 1859', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.41, p.401-14
The urns were discovered near Law Park when a field was ploughed. Mr Charles Howie made a thorough investigation and discovered twenty urns.