| || |
Temple and Cromlech at Iwullee
28.2 x 38.1 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
Photograph of a temple and cromlech (a prehistoric megalithic structure) outside the town of Iwullee, in the Bijapur district of Karnataka. The temple in this view is temple number fifty-three in Henry Cousens, 'The Chalukyan Architecture of the Kanarese Districts' ( ASI, new Imperial series, vol. XLII, Calcutta, 1926), pl. xxii.
Iwullee, situated near the banks of the river Malaprabha like other Chalukyan sites of Badami and Pattadakal, was an important centre of the Early Chalukyas (Chalukyas of Badami) who flourished between c.543 and 757 AD. Together with the two other Early Chalukyan capitals of Badami and Pattadakal, the site has many Hindu and Jain temples which belong to the period between the sixth and twelfth centuries (the Early and Late Chalukya periods and the Rashtrakuta era).