| || |
Leaning Column, Karnak
[Photographic views taken in Egypt and Greece by C. G. Fontaine]
39.6 x 32.8 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
View of the second pylon of the temple of Amun-Re at Karnak, leading to the Great Hypostyle Hall, with a column on the right-hand side of the image and a head-less colossal statue next to the pylon. Karnak, near modern Luxor, is a large complex of religious buildings covering an area of over one hundred hectares. It consists of three major sacred precincts dedicated to Amun-Re (the largest of the three), Mut and Montu, but it also includes other structures built both inside and outside the various precincts. It was built and continually extended and embellished by Egyptian rulers from at least the Middle Kingdom (2055-1650 BC) until the Roman period (30 BC-AD 395) but most of its surviving structures date from the second half of the second millenium BC, resulting in Karnak being the largest and best-preserved temple complex of the New Kingdom (1550-1069 BC).
Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales