| || |
Alexander John Ellis
Pompeii. The temple (called that of Jupiter) at the Northern extremity of the Forum, seen from the South East
1841, 12 May, around bout 10.30 am
National Science and Media Museum
Part of the Ellis group of daguerreotypes, Inventory no: 1890-56-Pp6
Landscape view of an archaeological site at Pompeii. In the foreground is a grassy, stony open area in front of a roadway. Beyond this, in the centre of the image, a flight of steps lead up to a raised platform area on which is a ruined temple. The lower parts of pillars are still standing, and some walls remain, some roofed. To the right of the temple the road leads through a stone archway that is flanked by two blocked windows. Beyond and in the distance are two volcanic cones, one apparently smoking (?).