| || |
Sir Benjamin Simpson
Chilzina or the 40 Steps [Kandahar]
Shelfmark: Photo 50/1(86), Item number: 50186
Kandahar is the second largest city in Afghanistan and is situated in the south of the region. Chilzina is a rock-cut chamber on the northern side of the old citadel and is accessed by forty steps. A Persian incription at the site reveals that the chamber was completed under the patronage of the Moghul Emperor Babur in the 16th century. The old citadel was destroyed by Nadir Shah Afshar of Persia in 1738.