| || |
Temple of Dekkeh [Dakka], Nubia
[Photographic views taken in Egypt and Greece by C. G. Fontaine]
25.7 x 34.5 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
Side view of the temple with its pylon to the right, followed by a courtyard, the hypostyle hall and the shrine. The present temple is the result of an expansion occurred during the Greco-Roman period of a previous one-room shrine erected by Arkamani II, a Meroitic ruler contemporary of Ptolemy IV Philopator (221-205 BC), and dedicated to Thoth of Pnubis, his consort Tefnut and their son Arensnuphis. A few reused blocks, though, belong to the initial chapel erected on the same site during the XVIII Dynasty (1550-1069 BC) and dedicated to Horus of Baki. The complex was dismantled and reassembled 50 km to the south of its original location in the 1960s as part of a large UNESCO project to preserve monuments from the rising waters of Lake Nasser, following the construction of the Aswan High Dam.
Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales