| || |
Plaza del Palau, Barcelona
[Photographic Souvenir of Spain vol. II]
25.5 x 41.5 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
Photograph of the Plaza del Palacio in Barcelona. In the centre of the photograph, within a large piazza, stands a large water fountain crowned by a winged genius in marble. Behind the fountain stand three and four storeyed buildings including the Palace del Virrey (standing on the right) which burnt down in 1875. In the centre of the foreground stands a small boy wearing a peaked hat. A cart stands alongside him.
The 'Fountain of the Catalan Genius' depicted in the centre of the photograph, features four statues representing the four Catalonian provinces of Barcelona, Lleida, Tarragona and Gerona. The fountain is dedicated to Francisco Bernaldo de Quiros, Marquis of Campo Sagrado who was responsible for providing the city with water from the Sierra de Moncada in 1826.
Acquired by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert