| || |
Salted paper print
22.4 x 29.0 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
Photograph of the British Headquarters during the Crimean War. The building is a whitewashed bungalow with a tiled roof. Several soldiers and horses stand outside the building. A man, possibly the photographer Roger Fenton, stands beside a tripod to the left. A camp can be seen on the hillside behind the house.
In October 1854 Lord Raglan, the commander of the British troops in the Crimea, established his home and headquarters in this well positioned farmhouse near Sevastopol. Another copy of this photograph, originally owned by the war correspondent W H Russell, is listed in a 1939 sales catalogue as showing Lord Raglan's headquarters, 'with the other photographer, R Fenton, in the foreground' (History of Photography, vol.14, no.1, January-March 1990, p.26).