| || |
Pylon, Medéenet Haboo [Medinet Habu], Thebes, Upper Egypt
[Photographic views taken in Egypt and Greece by C. G. Fontaine]
29.9 x 40.5 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
View of the Ptolemaic pylon of the temple complex at Medinet Habu, aligned with the pylon of the temple of Amun built by Hatshepsut (1473-1458 BC) and Thutmose III (1479-1425 BC), partially visible on the left-hand side. The complex, built over structures dating from the Middle Kingdom, dates from the New Kingdom to the Late period (c.1550-332 BC) and consists mostly of the mortuary temple of Rameses III (1184-1153 BC).
Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales