| || |
Sir Benjamin Simpson
Chilzina & old Kandahar [Qandahar] from Picquet Hill.
Shelfmark: Photo 50/1(72), Item number: 50172
Photograph of Chilzina and old Kandahar from Picquet Hill from the 'Bellew Collection: Photograph album of Surgeon-General Henry Walter Bellew' taken by Sir Benjamin Simpson c.1881. Kandahar is the second largest city in Afghanistan and is situated in the south of the region. Although the old citadel was destroyed by Nadir Shah Afshar of Persia in 1738, the Battle of Maiwand was fought in its ruins in 1880. This conflict secured the rule of Abdur Rahman as the Amir of Afghanistan (1844-1901). Chilzina is a rock-cut chamber on the northern side of the old citadel that is accessed by forty steps. A Persian incription at the site reveals that the chamber was completed under the patronage of the Moghul Emperor Babur in the 16th century.