Luminous-Lint - for collectors and connoisseurs of fine photography
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER

HomeContentsVisual indexesC.G. Fountaine

 
  
Standard
  
  
C.G. Fountaine 
Temple of Dekkeh [Dakka], Nubia 
[Photographic views taken in Egypt and Greece by C. G. Fontaine] 
1862 
  
Albumen print 
25.7 x 34.5 cm (image) 
  
The Royal Collection 
RCIN 2081558 
  
 
LL/93223 
  
Side view of the temple with its pylon to the right, followed by a courtyard, the hypostyle hall and the shrine. The present temple is the result of an expansion occurred during the Greco-Roman period of a previous one-room shrine erected by Arkamani II, a Meroitic ruler contemporary of Ptolemy IV Philopator (221-205 BC), and dedicated to Thoth of Pnubis, his consort Tefnut and their son Arensnuphis. A few reused blocks, though, belong to the initial chapel erected on the same site during the XVIII Dynasty (1550-1069 BC) and dedicated to Horus of Baki. The complex was dismantled and reassembled 50 km to the south of its original location in the 1960s as part of a large UNESCO project to preserve monuments from the rising waters of Lake Nasser, following the construction of the Aswan High Dam.
 
Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales 
 

 
  
 
  
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER
 Facebook LuminousLint 
 Twitter @LuminousLint