| || |
Shelfmark: Photo 247/1(31), Item number: 247131
A hand-coloured print of Chandernagore, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Chandernagore, 32 km from Calcutta, was the site of the French East India Company's factory and remained under French rule until 1952 when a referendum made it a part of India. This is a view looking along a street towards the River Hooghly in the distance; street traders in the foreground.