| || |
The Citadel - English Church and Obelisk to Sir Howard Douglas [Corfu]
1862, 24 February
23.0 x 28.9 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
Corfu. View of the Citadel on hillside, centre, with sea on right visible over sea wall. Left, obelisk erected to memory of Sir Howard Douglas, Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands (1835–1840). St. George's Church can be seen on the right of the view. It was built in the classical Doric style by the British in the early 19th century to serve as an Anglican church for the military.
Acquired by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), 1862