| || |
Roman Antiquities found by Mr. J. Robinson and others in 1880
1880 (or later)
Carte de visite
A printed paper label neatly glued to the back of one of the cartes informs the reader that these are:
Photograph of a broken Cinerary Urn found embedded in calcined human bones and charcoal
whilst digging for Roman Remains in the fourth field north of the Roman Station, Maryport, on the 26th April, 1880.
MR. J. ROBINSON AND OTHERS IN 1880
The pieces of the Urn - thirty-two in number- have been skilfully affixed by MR. WILLIAM BERRY GRAHAM,
who has thus restored the Urn to the original form which the Potter gave it some 1,500 years ago."
Photographed by S. Bettoney of Crosby Street, Maryport [Cumbria].