Luminous-Lint - for collectors and connoisseurs of fine photography
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER

HomeContentsVisual indexesC.G. Fountaine

 
  
Standard
  
  
C.G. Fountaine 
Temple of Dabod [Debod], Nubia 
[Photographic views taken in Egypt and Greece by C. G. Fontaine] 
1862 
  
Albumen print 
27.1 x 35.0 cm (image) 
  
The Royal Collection 
RCIN 2081562 
  
 
LL/93227 
  
View of the courtyard between the second gateway, visible on the right-hand side, and the pronaos (with two of its four columns visible in the background) of the temple of Debod, with a large quantity of large stone debris in the foreground and middle ground. The original temple, a small single room chapel built around 200 BC by a Kushite king of Meroe and dedicated to the god Amun, was enlarged during the Ptolemaic dynasty and dedicated to Isis of Philae. Its decoration was completed under the emperors Augustus and Tiberius. It was removed from its original site in 1960, as part of a large project to save various monuments from being submerged following the construction of the Aswan High Dam, and donated by Egypt to Spain in 1968 in recognition of their assistance during the project. The structure was reassembled in 1972 in Madrid, in the Parque del Oeste, where it can still be seen.
 
Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales 
 

 
  
 
  
HOME  BACK>>> Subscriptions <<< | Testimonials | Login | FREE NEWSLETTER
 Facebook LuminousLint 
 Twitter @LuminousLint