| || |
Temple of Luxor, Upper Egypt
[Photographic views taken in Egypt and Greece by C. G. Fontaine]
37.2 x 47.7 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
View of the minaret of the Mosque of Abu al-Haggag with, in the foreground, some of the columns of the temple of Amun-Kamutef at Luxor. A local man is pictured reclining on the ground. The mosque was built on the remains of the Egyptian temple in the thirteenth century, on the site previously occupied by a church, and rebuilt several times, including in the nineteenth century. At the time, a whole village had been built on layers of sand and silt accumulated over the centuries which started to get removed in the 1880s by Gaston Maspero (1846-1916). The mosque, though, was left intact and still stands today.
Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales