| || |
Obélisque de Cléopâtre [Cleopatra's Needle], Alexandria, Egypt
Private collection of Jan Weijers (Servatius)
The obelisk was erected in Heliopolis in around 1500 BCE and moved to Alexandria in 12 BCE by Augustus Caesar. In 1879 it was shipped to New York and finally installed in Central Park in 1881. Although called Cleopatra's Needle a nickname that has stuck it has nothing to do with that great queen but is a tribute to Thutmosis III [Thutmose III]..