| || |
Temple of Kom-Ombo, Upper Egypt
[Photographic views taken in Egypt and Greece by C. G. Fontaine]
36.2 x 47.8 cm (image)
The Royal Collection
View of the second hypostlyle hall of the temple, still mostly buried in the sand. The temple, dedicated to Sobek (the crocodile-headed god) and Haroeris the Elder (a form of Horus), was built mainly during the Ptolemaic and Roman periods (332 BC-AD 395) and first cleared of debris by Jacques de Morgan (1857-1924) in 1893.
Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales