| || |
View from the right of Facade of Buddhist vihara, Cave II, Ajanta
11.8 x 19.2
Courtesy of the British Library, Image number: 2061, Shelfmark: Photo 1000/20(2061)
Stereoscopic photograph of the fažade of the Buddhist vihara, Cave 2 at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd - 1st century BC and later in the 5th century AD, a period of time which coincides with the Hinayana and Mahayana phases of Buddhist art. Cave 2 is a monastery from the late 5th century which has preserved some remarkable paintings. The verandah is supported by pillars with fluted shafts ornamented with floral bands. At both ends of the verandah there are small shrines with a seated Naga king with yaksha attendants on the left and Hariti with a child on the right. The ceiling of the verandah is painted with floral and geometrical designs.