| || |
Thomson Street in Suva
[Fiji in the Forties and Fifties, pl. 47]
Book illustration, based on gelatin silver print
Private collection of Ginnie Marlow
Used with the kind permission of Ginnie Marlow and Thomson Pacific Ltd.
This photograph is included in the book "Fiji in the Forties and Fifties" Photography by Rob Wright, Text by Sir Ian Thomson, Edited by Peter Thomson (Thomson Pacific Ltd., 1994, ISBN: 0473027402)
Accompanying text in book:
"This photograph of Thomson Street in Suva was taken in September 1945, shortly after the Second World War, Thomson Street is at the heart of Fiji's capital city, and was named after William Thomson, who, with Samuel Renwick, once owned much of the land in central Suva. The old ivi tree outside the General Post Office has long since been gone, and the colonial-style buildings have all been replaced by modern structures. The only building in the photograph still standing today is that of the Bank of New South Wales (now Westpac Banking Corporation) which appears in the centre of this scene."
Further comment by Ginnie Marlow (May 2007):
"Ivi - Tahitian chestnut"