|Contents||This theme includes example sections and will be revised and added to as we proceed. Suggestions for additions, improvements and the correction of factual errors are always appreciated. |
Status: Collect > Document > Analyse > Improve
682.01 Process and product > Improving content on photographic techniques
|We are seeking to expand the themes covering photographic techniques and processes. These sections will include:
Conservation will not initially be included but may be in the future if required.
- Invention of the process
- Any related patents
- Trade literature
- Contemporary advertisements and announcements of the innovation
- A description of the process and its variants
- Historical examples and details of where examples can be located in public collections
- Contemporary examples by photographers using the exact process.
682.02 Process and product > Cliché verre
Cliché-verre [Fr.] literally translated means "glass picture' and is a technique that combines art and photography and was used mainly by French artists including Jean Baptiste Corot, Jean François Millet, and Charles François Daubigny. It was normally done by using a smoking candle to coat a glass plate with soot. The desired picture was then drawn with a sharp instrument directly into the blackened surface and the resulting plate was used as a photographic negative and contact printed. Although mainly used in the 1860s the cliché verre technique has also be used by György Kepes and Abelardo Morell.
- Λ Elizabeth Glassman & Marilyn F. Symmes, 1980, Cliché-verre: Hand-Drawn, Light-Printed: A Survey of the Medium from 1839 to the Present, (Detroit: The Detroit Institute of Arts)
- Λ Gary Tinterow, 1996, Corot, (Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- Λ Alexandra R. Murphy, 1999, Jean-François Millet: Drawn Into the Light, (Yale University Press)
- Λ Michael Marlais, 2004, Valenciennes, Daubigny, and the Origins of French Landscape Painting, ( Pennsylvania State University Press)
- Λ G. Kepes, et al., 1995, Language of Vision: Fundamentals of Bauhaus Design, (Mineola, NY: Dover Publications) [Reprint]; Gyorgy Kepes, 1984, Light Graphics, (New York: International Center of Photography) isbn-10: 0933642059 isbn-13: 978-0933642058 [Exhibition catalogue]; Gyorgy Kepes, & Marjorie Supovitz (ed.), 1978, Gyorgy Kepes: The MIT Years 1945-1977, (The MIT Press)
- Λ Abelardo Morell: Cliché-verres
Glassman, Elizabeth & Symmes, Marilyn F., 1980, Cliché-verre: Hand-Drawn, Light-Printed: A Survey of the Medium from 1839 to the Present, (Detroit: The Detroit Institute of Arts) [Δ]
If you feel this list is missing a significant book or article please let me know - Alan - email@example.com
Jean Baptiste Corot (1796-1875) • Charles François Daubigny (1817-1878) • György Kepes (1906-2001) • Abelardo Morell (1948-)
|Home > Techniques > Process and product > Cliché-verre |