|Contents||This theme includes example sections and will be revised and added to as we proceed. Suggestions for additions, improvements and the correction of factual errors are always appreciated.|
460.01 North and Central America > Improving content on US states
|We are seeking to extend the information and examples we can share on this American state.
These points are indicative of topics that could be included on this page.
- The introduction of photography - The earliest known photographs of this state/territory and who was involved.
- Documentary - Significant documentary, expedition or scientific studies - funded by government, industrial, religious groups or charities. Perhaps there have been studies of civil engineering projects, urban renewal and railroad construction. If you know where images can be obtained from let us know.
- Regional photographic societies - Details on any societies and camera clubs that have been significant.
- Publications - Local books, directories, journals and articles which you consider are significant in understanding this region. Particularly interested in early illustrated books, portfolios and albums. Images of the covers are useful.
- Photographic studios - Both historic and contemporary studios along with photographs of them and any photography-related advertising .
- Photographers - Listings and biographies of important local photographers and those who visited.
- Anecdotes - Stories about local photographers, studios, collectors or perhaps the story behind a single photograph.
- Collections - Contact details for collections that you know contain work that should be better known. Are there collections that you know which are at risk? If you own photography collections let us know (This will not be made public without your permission.)
- Newspapers / magazines - Early examples where their use of photography was innovative or historically significant.
- Photography in popular culture - Cartoons, tales, songs, poems, superstitions and stories.
- Unusual - Is there anything unusual that you know about in the history of photography of this region?
- Experts - Names of any specialists in the photo-history of this state. Have you written about this state and have something you would like to share? (This will not be made public without your permission and please include yourself if you feel it is appropriate.)
If you are able to assist in any way it is appreciated.
460.02 North and Central America > E.J. Bellocq: Storyville Portraits
About this photographer | Photographs by this photographer
Between 1911 and 1913 Ernest James Bellocq (1873-1949) took a series of portraits of prostitutes of New Orleans in Louisiana - the Storyville portraits. These were later rediscovered by photographer Lee Friedlander who reprinted and promoted them.
- Λ Szarkowski, J. (ed.), 1970, E. J. Bellocq: Storyville Portraits: Photographs from the New Orleans Red-Light District, circa 1912, (New York: Museum of Modern Art); E.J. Bellocq, 1996, Bellocq: Photographs from Storyville. The Red-Light District of New Orleans, (New York: Random House) [Introduction by Susan Sontag. Interviews by John Szarkowski. Preface by Lee Friedlander]
Smith, Margaret & Tucker, Mary, 1982, Photography in New Orleans: The Early Years, 1840-1865, (Baton Rouge: LSU Press) [Δ]
Readings on, or by, individual photographers
Bellocq, E.J., 1996, Bellocq: Photographs from Storyville. The Red-Light District of New Orleans, (New York: Random House) [Introduction by Susan Sontag. Interviews by John Szarkowski. Preface by Lee Friedlander] [Δ]
Szarkowski, J. (ed.), 1970, E. J. Bellocq: Storyville Portraits: Photographs from the New Orleans Red-Light District, circa 1912, (New York: Museum of Modern Art) [Δ]
Genthe, Arnold, 1926, Impressions of Old New Orleans, (New York: George H Doran Company) [Δ]
Clarence John Laughlin
Brady, P. & Lawrence, J. H. (eds.), 1997, Haunter of Ruins: The Photography of Clarence John Laughlin, (Boston: Bulfinch Press) [Δ]
Davis, Keith F. (ed.), 1990, Clarence J. Laughlin: Visionary Photographer, (Kansas City, MO: Hallmark Cards) [Δ]
Laughlin, Clarence J, 1987, Ghosts Along the Mississippi, (New York: American Legacy Press) [Δ]
Towell, Larry, 2006, Larry Towell: In the Wake of Katrina, (Chris Boot in association with Archive of Modern Conflict) isbn-10: 0954689496 [Δ]
If you feel this list is missing a significant book or article please let me know - Alan - email@example.com
E.J. Bellocq (1873-1949) • Debbie Fleming Caffery (1948-) • Walker Evans (1903-1975) • Arnold Genthe (1869-1942) • William Greiner (1957-) • Clarence John Laughlin (1905-1985) • Jules Lion (1810-1866) • Jennifer Shaw (1972-)
|Home > Geographical regions > North and Central America > USA > Louisiana |