|Luminous-Lint strongly believes in protecting the rights of photographers and all those creating original content.
Copyright Law is complex and confusing and this can lead to litigation. On this site Luminous-Lint wants to be clear about the use of images to ease the situation. The purpose of this site is to improve photographic scholarship and to provide an easily accessible educational resource.
When photographs created by the United States Federal Government, or its agencies, are used the images are in the public domain and can be freely used, subject to any special copyright issues. The exact reference for the image is always provided and a credit line given.
Where images by individual photographers are used they are used under the 'Fair Use' section of United States Copyright Law that permits usage for non-commercial purposes relating to scholarship. There are a number of excellent internet sites explaining this including those at Stanford University Libraries:
and more specifically:
However the situation is not clear as some photographers, their agents, estates and legal representatives feel that any use should be prohibited without express permission. There are a number of perfectly justifiable reasons for this:
If you are connected in any way with an artistic work on this website and would like to talk about it then Contact us directly.
- Right to financial reward for the creation of an original work.
- Right to ensure the photograph is shown only as they want it to be seen. For example a photographer would quite rightly object to having their photograph displayed on a webpage of a contrasting color as it would not show their work in a favourable light and therefore potentially damage their professional status and image.
- Right to monitor all uses of their images as it directly affects their relationship with the public and their customers.
I as the creator of this website make no claim to:
I make every effort to display all available copyright and source information available for researchers and potential users.
- have any rights, commercial or otherwise, over these images except where I am the originator of the image.
Where there are websites or commercial products of photographers, for example books and sales of prints through galleries, I endeavor to direct the reader to these.
IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY IN ANY WAY ABOUT THIS
In the event that the photographer, the estate of the photographer, or anybody else makes a claim that Luminous-Lint is in some way infringing on their rights we will endeavor to make the material unavailable as quickly as possible while we investigate the circumstances of the claim. Please email us at email@example.com if you feel there has been any infringement so the issue can be dealt with speedily - my honest intention is to be straight and fair with everybody. Remember to include the name of the photographer or the title of the image concerned as this will assist me in removing the material. If you require a specific credit line or any accompanying on-screen information I will do everything possible to oblige.
Many photographers, photographic dealers, galleries and collectors allow this site to include the images that pass through their hands as a resource for the history of photography and at times you may buy one of these images; in some cases, such as a Daguerreotype, it may be unique. If you would like to see the image removed email me and I will do so but please remember that we are all temporary custodians of our collections and it helps the entire community to have access to the widest possible range of images. If you would like to add a comment on the change of ownership or your own thoughts on the content or significance of a photograph you now own I will do that with pleasure.
If you require to make any commercial use of any of the images on this site then you MUST contact the original copyright owners.
If you wish to use any images on this site for any purpose then you must seek clearances or be sure that 'fair use' provisions apply to you. If you have any doubts then we strongly advise contacting a copyright attorney. Do not email us on copyright issues as we are not lawyers and would only recommend that you seek legal advice.
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AGENT FOR NOTICE
Luminous-Lint respects the intellectual property of others and we ask our users to do the same. Pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 512, Luminous-Lint has designated an agent to receive notifications of alleged copyright infringement:
Attention: Copyright Agent
Halifax NS B3L 4T6
If you wish to notify Luminous-Lint of an alleged copyright infringement, or if you are the valid copyright owner to a logo or graphic image in use by Luminous-Lint (whether submitted by you or a third party), you may contact Luminous-Lint as set forth above and request that Luminous-Lint remove such materials. All such requests must include:
Failure to include all of the information above may result in the inability to process your request and/or fully remove the Materials from Luminous-Lint's website(s).
- Contact information for you, including name address, telephone number and/or email address;
- A description of the copyrighted work that you wish to have removed from Luminous-Lint's website(s) (the "Material");
- A description of where the Material is located on the Site — for logos, such description should include an image file name and/or URL link associated with the logo
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner of the Material or have been expressly authorized to make the request on behalf of the copyright owner; and
- An electronic or physical signature of the copyright owner of the Material or a person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.