|Product Details |
Hatje Cantz Publishers
Uncompromising, unembellished, sometimes delapidated, and often featuring careless renovations and additions, more than 1500 Bauhaus structures remain standing in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, monuments that have stubbornly defied the course of time and retained the unbroken utopic spirit of their era. Photographed by Günter Förg, whose oeuvre encompasses painting, graphic design, sculpture, and a body of architectural photographs of such buildings as the Villa Malaparte and the Wittgenstein House, these villas, studios, and working-class housing developments were designed in the 1930s and 40s largely by architects who had emigrated from Europe. Ariel Sharon, Sam Barkai, Genia Averbuch, Ze'ev Haller, Richard Kauffman, Erich Mendelsohn, and others endeavored to implement the social, technical, and aesthetic principles postulated by the Bauhaus before it was closed down by the Nazis in 1933.